Thursday, July 19, 2012

Have-a-pie-sue? Have-a-sue-pie? Havasupai!

I finally got to see Havasupai! What in the world? Or more like where in the world? Surprisingly, most people give you a funny look if you say you've been there, but once you exclaim the turquoise blue water, red rocks, 105 degree weather, and 10 mile hike into the Grand Canyon, I think most people get hooked on wanting to go...okay, maybe not all.

Near New Navajo Falls
Havasupai has been one of those items on my bucket list for over five years, when I first learned about it from some friends in Utah. With all my time spent in Arizona, I had to venture out of the state to learn of this place. During the end of June, I had the opportunity to go explore Havasupai with an amazing group of AZ friends who knew the area quite well and helped me see Hava-sights. After three days, I still didn't see it all and must go back. I highly recommend this exploration spot!

It's best to share Havasupai through pictures, in which I'm glad there were friends who took several. Due to Blogspot's quirkiness with posting photos, these may be a little offset. I'm no Blogspot expert, but here are a few pictures from my Havasupai adventure.

Hike in at 1am. The coolest time to start the 10 mile hike!
Havasu Falls after a 10 mile hike & no sleep. So much delirious fun!


50 Foot Falls - Hava-group shot!

My jet-setting friend, Jackie & me at Havasu Falls.
Havasu Falls - Met up w/Utah friends while down there. UT friends, Mike & Jackie, me, and my jet-setting friend & AZ roommate, Kristina.
Havasu Falls view from the top.
Explanation of the blue, turquoise water.
50 Foot Falls - 1/2 of the group in this shot



Plenty of jump shots at New Navajo Falls!
New Navajo Falls area
Here we are again!
Me jumping solo. I look funny, but still glad someone took the photo.

Havasupai means "hike much in hot sun". Not a direct translation ;-)
Bridge to no return & walkway to our campsite. Really fun to balance on at 5am when you've just barely gotten up.








The village has Indian Tacos w/fry bread. A lil' pricey, but all for the Hava-experience.
For those who choose, mules and horses can carry your packs and deliver your mail to and from Havasupai!
First class flight outta there! We took a helicopter out in hopes to stay for Church and still have time to drive to SLC. Unfortunately, our flight time beat our plans for Church. Bummer! Next time I'm going to Church & hiking out, as it was sad to miss out on all the Hava-fun!
Front row seat!
Carrying our packs to the helicopter. Our amazing 3-day trip officially coming to an end! So long, farewell great land of Havasupai...until next time!

2 comments:

Shana said...

This place looks beautiful, and you look like you're having so much fun!

Anonymous said...

These are beautiful! I want to go. Can I talk you into taking me there? I want to go, while I am still young (sort of). :-)
tlejg