Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Back to Denver - July 2007

I ventured back to Denver right after the 4th. I was able to spend more great time with my dad and visit the Hobbs up in Evergreen, while Carrie was getting ready to enter the MTC for the CA-San Diego mission. Love visiting with those close friends. It's always nice to go back to your roots, but slightly eerie to reminisce on the years gone by as I spent 12 years in that 8,000 ft. Mountain town (living at such an elevation probably explains a lot of my random behaviors:-)

The slight drama (not really dramatic) came with my flight back to SLC. I went to the airport on Tuesday only to discover that my flight left Wednesday. Random. I've never done that before. Scheduled a ticket for the wrong day. So I go back Wednesday at 8:30 am (dad had a client in town and meeting) for a 1 pm flight only to find out my flight is cancelled due to technical dificulties. Thanks to the meticulous techs that make our traveling experience a complete possibility. Don't want to fly on a broken plane.

So the first leg of my journey detoured to Phx (no direct flights). Got into Phx at 4 pm to be delayed for two hours because of a missing plane somewhere in the sky. I arrived in SLC at 8:30 pm. 12 hour travel day. The 8 hr drive was probably a better choice.

MORAL OF THE STORY: Always double-check your flight dates before purchasing. Be patient and stay busy by going through every terminal, every store, and explaining airport security to confused travelers (sealed bottled water is still not allowed through security). If you end up at the airport for several hours participate in non-traditional exercise (walk everywhere, lift your bag 100 times with each arm, do calf raises, stretch and refrain from sitting). Specifically, if you're trapped at DIA you can practice balance on the train between terminals. Don't hold on to the rails, just balance back and forth with your legs slightly bent. For beginners, stand close to a pole or rail to avoid flying into another tram traveler. May get some strange looks, but it's so much fun.

1 comment:

Shana said...

Ugh, I'm beyond sick of planes and airports right now.