Sunday, August 26, 2007

Connecticut - July 25 - Aug. 1, 2007


Nothing like a summer vacation on the East Coast. Of course, a good vacation requires some outdoor chores and a house to paint. My dad and I were busily engaged in yardwork, painting the house, and fighting off hornets (at least the mosquitos stayed at bay). Great way to get a classic tan. The sun isn't as strong out there, so I always get a nice deep tan. It's kinda strange, but I turn a different color. Like Purple! Just kidding.

I enjoyed the fresh berries and apples from the yard and veggies from the farmer's market. Ah, that is the way to live. Seafood, veggie gardens and all the fruit you'll ever need to survive. Though we stayed in Westport, CT most of the time; we also went out to Pawcatuck, CT (borders RI) to visit my Aunt Helen's house built in the 1600's, and housed by a sea captain. What a tale it must tell.

We ventured out to Mystic, CT for the annual 24hr reading marathon of Herman Mellville's classic, Moby Dick. I've never read it, but as Herman Mellville recited the first chapter by memory (ok, maybe just a guy pretending to be Herman), I was inspired to get my own copy. Such passion for the sea is expressed in the first chapter, and since I was a fish in another life:-) I knew this is a must read.

Vacation is not complete without boating and fishing (at least pretending) in the Atlantic! I actually caught a Bass, while dad and Aunt Helen caught dog fish (they bark at you, funny looking creatures). No fish were harmed during our boating experience; we threw them back. My dad and I also swam from CT to RI! Sounds catastrophic, huh? Okay, I think it was really hundreds of yards to swim between the two states.

This is a highly recommended vacation destination, but I'm partially bias to the permeating childhood memories that pop up as I visit family on the east coast.

2 comments:

Shana said...

Aw, I love the swimming picture.

Anonymous said...

Looks like a great place. My Mason ancestors are from Mystic CT - just struck a chord with me as I was reading your blog. Love ann