Sunday, August 26, 2007

Washington DC - Aug. 7 - Aug. 12, 2007

Who knew! There's a place where singles are appreciated so much that they have their own lane on the freeway! The yellow signs say "Single Lane Ahead". D.C. is surely the place to be:-)

I went out for a Communications Conference to present a paper, and mom joined me to celebrate her Bday on Aug. 10th. Though D.C. is a popular tourist attraction, I don't know how many people can say they enjoy the city in August during humid, 100 degree weather. Can't say I enjoyed it, but it wasn't unbearable. Besides, my hair is always thick and luscious in humidity:-)

Lessons learned from this trip: I recommend the popular tourist spots, but don't try to see it all in one trip. You miss out on a lot if you're rushing from one place to the next. Even the the White House (couldn't find parking) and D.C. Temple (missed the street, and heading out to Gettysburg) were drive-bys. In case there is any question, the Pentagon does not give tours, let alone let you enter the parking lot. My mom used to go all the time when she was young, but different time period and her dad worked at the Pentagon.

I also recommend the Newseum that will be opening soon. We had a sneak peek as AEJMC delegates to see this gigantic media museum. Way cool! Inspired me to rent Goodnight and Goodluck about Edward R. Murrow (still haven't seen it). The Newseum will definitely be on my list next time I'm in D.C.

Moral of the Story: When in D.C., in mid-August, view the sites at night, especially the National Mall (all the memorials). It's open until 11:45 pm. Gorgeous city lights as we walked around Lincoln Memorial, Washington Monument, etc until 11:30pm. In hindsight, probably not the safest idea, so don't walk around without tons of people. Or just jump in with a random tour group wandering along the path.

1 comment:

Shana said...

Good tips -- I'm visiting a friend in DC in October, and I definitely want to see the Newseum.